Part of a large family farm in Virginia’s hunt country, this home renovation project required a design that removed previous additions and built new ones that would be more in keeping with the original style of the house. This 1818 stone farmhouse has a recognizable center hall, two over two plan, to which were added twin white clapboard wings that are linked by a transverse hall along the back of the original structure.
Two salvaged archways from the late Federal home were placed opposite one another in the transverse hall to mark the entry to each addition. Other reclaimed materials, including hand carved wainscoting, heart pine flooring, cast iron radiators, and porcelain plumbing fixtures, were used for convey a continuity of style. The result is a reinvigorated home design with a period narrative that embodies the stewardship of this family heirloom.